Curicó was founded in 1743 by Jose Manso de Velasco during the Spanish reign in the Americas (see Captaincy General of Chile). It is one of the more cultured and progressive provincial towns of Chile.
In 1747, Governor Domingo Ortiz de Rozas decided to move it about 5 km (3 mi) to the north, where it is now located, because of the humidity in its original location.
The oldest and most valuable building of the city is La Iglesia San Francisco (San Francisco’s Church), built in 1734, and came to its current location in 1759.
Curicó gained the title of “city” in 1830.